This aspect of the build was one of the most challenging for me, as the wiring and associated electronic systems in modern vehicles are very complex and my knowledge and understanding is rather basic. The removal or cutting of the wrong wire could (and at times did) provide disastrous results. On more than one occasion it took me days to backtrack my work and find a wire that I had cut which resulted in a vital system failing to work eg the engine wouldn't start!
I had a copy of the MX5 factory workshop manual with a very detailed set of wiring diagrams and these were invaluable during the build. I also numbered and labeled every plug and connector as it was removed from the MX5 and compiled a document with my own list of these and where they were located in the car and what they were for. Then, as I cut, removed, shortened or otherwise changed anything I made notes in my document. I now have a detailed document outlining the wiring and this will help with any future fault finding for the Locost.
The complete wiring looms were removed intact from the MX5 donor car and installed in the Locost. This enabled the setting up, operation and testing of all the required electrics and electronics, including getting the engine, auto and ABS operating. Once everything was working all unnecessary wiring and fittings were carefully removed eg sound system, air-conditioning, air bags, seat belt tensioners, electric windows etc etc etc, which left only the wiring required for the Locost. Then the wiring had to be shortened or lengthened and finally bound and covered to form a protected and neat wiring loom.
An eventually satisfying, but often complex and frustrating aspect of the build that I would not want to go through again.